Sunday, May 31, 2015

Waffles and an Aquarium

Our waffle iron died last spring in a dramatic shower of electrical sparks, and we'd been hemming and hawing about how to replace it, especially given our desire to eliminate synthetic non-stick surfaces (and associated heat-released chemical compounds) from our kitchen. We ultimately settled on a refurbished, vintage waffle iron from 1948 - the Manning-Bowman SubDeb from http://www.toastercentral.com/  - and fired it up last night. It makes absolutely amazing waffles!



This morning, we drove up to Long Beach to check out the Aquarium of the Pacific. Mama and Dada arranged for their marine biology students to go there as a class assignment and had discounted tickets. The boys had fun touching jellyfish, sharks, sea anemones, and urchins, and Finn loved the puffins, the cave under the penguin tank, and the sea lions. 





1 comment:

Barry and Kathy B said...

I think my family had a waffle iron like your new one. I sure like the concept, to refurbish... I love the photo of the boys sitting next to each other! Finn looks absolutely enthralled by all the critters--what a wonderful discovery age!!